Why try tai chi? Here are 10 reasons to give it a whirl!
- Burn calories. Tai chi can burn up 300 to 500 calories per hour, depending on the intensity of your workout. Tai chi uses your whole body, so you burn plenty of calories. And yet, you’ll…
- Feel energized. Here in the West, we are obsessed with burning calories and expending energy. But in the East, there’s more interest in preserving energy so it’s there when you need it and so you can live a long life. The cool thing is, tai chi leaves you feeling energized.
- Improve your balance. Tai chi is renowned for helping boost balance.
- Release stress. Especially when you practice tai chi regularly, you’ll release stress you didn’t even know you carried around with you.
- Get stronger and more flexible. A healthy muscle is both strong and flexible.
- It’s easy on the joints. Gentle fluid movements prevail in tai chi. True, we might throw in a few fist punches. But even those are easy on the joints.
- It’s a mind-body exercise that’s rooted in the martial arts. Which is flat-out cool, in my opinion.
- It’s fun. Seriously. We do tai chi to music. And we like laughter.
- It increases your focus. See my post about the Wall Street Journal article on this.
- It’s a great complement to your other activities. Whether you run, jog, walk, ski, skate, swim, play tennis or ping pong, curl (as in the Olympic sport), lift weights, play checkers, or do something else, tai chi is going to be good for you.
Bonus benefit: You can’t make a mistake. That’s right. Not in our class! We might correct your alignment for safety reasons. We might show you our preferred technique. But otherwise, it’s all good!
What’s your favorite benefit of exercising or otherwise decompressing? Leave a comment below!
Come do tai chi with us
Join our tai chi classes, which give you a fresh, fun, easy-to-follow approach to the ancient martial art and health practice of tai chi. Grab our schedule and other details.